If there’s one thing that most women of a certain age can agree on, it’s that menopause stinks! Big time. This particular transition produces several unwanted and annoying symptoms like mood swings, trouble sleeping, headaches, and of course, hot flashes.
However, there is a simple, natural remedy that can help alleviate those obnoxious hot flashes, and even reduce their frequency. Today I’ll share how to combine a few essential oils to make 3 different natural remedies for hot flashes.
There are 3 essential oils that I find helpful for controlling and alleviating hot flashes – clary sage, peppermint, and geranium.
– Clary sage oil can help with all sorts of hormonal issues, especially in women. In addition to easing menstrual cramps and PMS symptoms, clary sage can also help reduce the frequency and intensity of hot flashes and night sweats.
– Peppermint oil provides a cool, tingling sensation that can help cool you down in the event of a hot flash. It also helps with achy joints, headaches, and it can give you an energy boost, too!
– Geranium oil can also help to balance hormones, and it also helps alleviate mood swings and anxiety.
There are plenty of different ways you can use this blend of oils!
Homemade Cooling Spray To Relieve Hot Flashes
1. Combine the oils in a glass spray bottle following the 2:1:2 ratio specified above. For example, I use 20 drops of clary sage, 10 drops of peppermint, and 20 drops of geranium oil.
2. Fill the bottle the rest of the way with witch hazel.
3. Replace the cap on the bottle and give it a good shake to mix.
4. Apply the spray to your face and body to help reduce the intensity of a hot flash, or to help cool you off if the hot flash is already over.
Massage Oil Combo To Reduce Hot Flashes
Another great way to utilize these oils for hot flashes is to make a simple massage oil.
1. Add the 3 essential oils in the 2:1:2 ratio to a 10 ml roller bottle.
2. Then top it off with your carrier oil of choice. I used coconut oil because it’s what I had on hand, but you can use whatever oil you like best.
3. Roll the oil onto your body wherever you could use some cooling relief, or roll it onto the absorbent skin on the bottoms of your feet for full-body benefits.