Once the neck pain strikes will make any simple task look mountainous. It will start as a sharp or dull ache which will travel down to the shoulders making you move just like a robot. Sometimes, neck pain can cause numbness, headaches, stiffness and difficulty when eating. Most of the times, you can end up with a neck pain due to poor posture, traumatic injury, working long hours staring at the computer or sleeping in an uncomfortable position.
One day I ended with a stiff neck after I woke up in the morning which made me move just like Robocop. Whenever I wanted to tilt or turn my head to the left side it hurt like hell. A sharp pain was felt somewhere in the head and shoulder. So, I call in sick and lay down in bed all day long. The second day, the pain was still there so, I went to the physical therapist which recommended me the following at-home neck pain therapy.
Start with some easy neck stretches or yoga…
- You can get instant relief from neck pain by performing a simple set of exercises.
- Nod your head forward and backward for some time and then gradually start nodding from one side to the other.
- Once your muscles feel less tense, slowly turn your head completely towards the left, and then completely towards your right. This might hurt a bit, so take it slow.
- Repeat this exercise for at least 20 repetitions.
- Do this exercise every few hours and you’ll find the stiffness in your neck vanish.
…then apply an Ice Pack..
Ice helps to reduce inflammation and muscle soreness in the neck. Place some ice cubes inside of a towel and place it on the area that is aching or simply, just apply an ice pack. Let it there for a couple of minutes then remove.
…continue with an Epsom Bath…
Epsom salt contains sulfate and magnesium, which helps in regulating several enzymes in the body. It also increases blood circulation and reduces stress and muscle tension. Simply, fill three-fourths of the bathtub with warm water and add 2 cups of Epsom salt to it. Mix the salt in the water and soak in this for 10 to 15 minutes.
…and then give yourself a nice Essential Oil Neck Massage.
- A few drops of peppermint oil
- A few drops of lavender oil
- A Few drops of basil oil
- A few drops of cypress oil
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
Make a blend of the essential oils and mix a few drops of this blend with warm olive oil. Massage your neck for a few minutes before going to bed.
As a matter of fact you can also apply Apple Cider Vinegar compresses over the painful area…
Soak the a napkin in the vinegar and place this on your neck. Leave it on for an hour or so.
…and the next morning wear confidently a collar until the pain fades away.
Wrap the collar or brace around your neck and keep it on until the pain subsides, but don’t forget to remove it at regular intervals, and stretch your neck and shoulder muscles.